Dr. Astrid Nielssen is a native of British Columbia who completed both her veterinary degree and later her small animal internal medicine residency at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon.
Dr. Nielssen spent several years in general practice prior to pursuing her specialization in internal medicine and feels strongly that a comprehensive team approach to addressing a patient’s medical concerns, working closely with the client, referring practitioner and other specialists as needed, is critical to ensuring delivery of the best possible care to her patients.
Dr. Nielssen has a particular interest in immune-mediated diseases, endocrine disorders and diseases of the blood.
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Small Animal Internal Medicine)
- Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA-Bachelor of Arts, cum laude
- Western College of Veterinary Medicine, Saskatoon, SK-Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, honors
- Western College of Veterinary Medicine, Saskatoon, SK-Residency in Small Animal Internal Medicine
- Western College of Veterinary Medicine, Saskatoon, SK-Master of Veterinary Science
- Dr. Dennis Shute Memorial Award for outstanding achievement in publishing
- Stan Olson Clinical Teaching Award
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- College of Veterinarians of British Columbia
Nielssen, A,; Taylor, S.M.: Diseases of the Lower Airway Handbook of Small Animal Practice, Fifth Edition (R.V. Morgan, R.M. Bright, M.S. Swartout, eds.). Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa., 2008.
Nielssen, A,; Taylor, S.M.: Diseases of the Lower Airway Handbook of Small Animal Practice, Fourth Edition (R.V. Morgan, R.M. Bright, M.S. Swartout, eds.). Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa., 2003; pp 163-171.
Heseltine J.; Carr, A.; Nielssen, A..: Diagnosing and Treating Ehrlichiosis in Dogs and Cats Vet. Med. 98(7):595-600; 2003.
Nielssen, A.; Carr, A.; Heseltine J.: Update on Canine Lyme disease Vet. Med. 97(8):604-610; 2002. Supported by a National Science Foundation-Research Experience for Undergraduates stipend.