BBVSH seeking a veterinary social worker
Boundary Bay Veterinary Specialty Hospital, Ltd in Langley, British Columbia, an independently owned multi-specialty hospital, seeks a Veterinary Social Worker.
BBVSH is located in the Vancouver metropolitan region which boasts world-class cultural offerings and abundance of outdoor recreational opportunities. BBVSH cares for a wide range of patients who are in need of specialized care in surgery, emergency and critical care, internal medicine, neurology, oncology, radiology, and canine rehabilitation. Our specialists and staff are enthusiastic, down-to-earth, and collaborative. We are seeking an individual who shares these traits to help our practice to grow. More information about our hospital can be found at: www.bbvsh.com
Objective: The Veterinary Social Worker’s (VSW) primary responsibility is to develop and maintain a social work program for the veterinary hospital and their clients and staff. The program will provide many facets of emotional support to clients of the hospital (owners of the pets), consultation regarding clients to veterinary staff, and supportive services, short term interventions and psychoeducational programs and trainings for employees of the hospital. The VSW will provide assessment and treatment planning of clients and/or staff. The VSW will provide grief counseling, quality of life counseling to client individuals, families, and groups. For staff and clients, the VSW will provide crisis counseling, assessment of clinical disorders, suicide assessment and prevention, assessment and clinical intervention with domestic violence concerns. The VSW will provide referral for longer term counseling as per need. The VSW will also serve as field instructor for a social work internship program for the hospital so that many of the tasks of client care may be provided by interns. This is a full-time position, but since the hospital is 24/7, hours of work will be flexible.
- Assertive, energetic, flexible and approachable personality with a very good sense of humor.
- Direct communication, de-escalation, as well as compassionate practice in intensely emotional situations.
- High tolerance for graphic medical procedures and information.
- Able to endure a fast-pace and initiate interaction.
- Macro social work skills for a rapidly growing organization, offering problem solving in collaboration with leadership.
- Excellent self-care skills.
- Strong clinical and assessment skills.
- Excellent skills in presentation or teaching.
- Able to mentor social work interns through delegation of tasks and teaching skills.
- Personal or professional experience with attachment to pets and pet euthanasia.
- Experience in a veterinary or animal-related environment and/or training in an established veterinary social work program or certificate program.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Social Work is required.
- At least three years post-masters experience.
- Experience in medical social work, child welfare/protection, or mental health settings preferred.
- Experience with grief/bereavement and/or trauma is preferred.
- Experience working successfully with multi-disciplinary teams is preferred.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $65,000-$80,000 per year
All applicants please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!