Dr. Geoffrey Hutchinson is the staff surgeon and a founding partner of Boundary Bay Veterinary Specialty Hospital.
A native of Southern Alberta, Dr. Hutchinson received specialized surgical training and board certification in the United States, and started surgery departments in Tucson, AZ and Yonkers, NY prior to returning to Western Canada in 2009 to open Boundary Bay Veterinary Specialty Hospital.
Dr. Hutchinson’s special interests include joint disorders and treatment, minimally invasive techniques, and fracture repair. He brings several cutting-edge treatments to his practice including tibial tuberosity advancement (TTA), arthroscopy, laparoscopy, Kyon Zurich Cementless total hip replacement, Proximal Abducting ULnar Osteotomy (PAUL), Patella Groove Replacement (PGR), and fracture repair using the ALPS titanium locking plate system.
Dr. Hutchinson’s philosophy is that surgery holds the potential for a profoundly positive effect on disease but should always be used judiciously and with as little interruption of normal tissues as possible.
Dr. Hutchinson’s interests include hiking, skiing, fly-fishing, and antique auto repair including that of his 1947 Chevrolet coupe and vintage Volkswagen Westfalia Bus. That said, most of his free time is delightfully dedicated to his three young daughters, Cecelia, Madeleine and Johanna.
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons
- University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB – BSc Honours in Zoology
- University of Illinois, Champaign, IL – Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
- Animal Medical Center, New York, NY – Internship in Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
- University of Missouri, Columbia, MO – Internship in Emergency & Critical Care
- University of Illinois, Champaign, IL – Residency in Small Animal Surgery
- University of Illinois, Champaign, IL – Masters of Science
- Phi Zeta – outstanding clinical research
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society
- College of Veterinarians of British Columbia
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
Recent Invited Presentations
- American College of Veterinary Surgeons Symposium – Denver, CO
- Kyon Tibial Tuberosity Advancement Master Class and ALPS Fracture Repair Workshop – Boston, MA
- Kyon Tibial Tuberosity Course Instructor – Tinton Falls, NJ; Madison, WI
- Kyon Advanced Locking Plate System Course Instructor – Tinton Falls, NJ; Madison, WI
- Kyon Symposium – Advanced Locking Plate System Presenter -Boston, MA
- Veterinary Orthopedic Society Conference Fracture Repair, Corrective Osteotomy and Patella Groove Replacement Instructor – Park City, UT
- Kyon Spring Practicum Fracture Repair, Corrective Osteotomy, Patella Groove Replacement and PAUL (technique for canine elbow dysplasia) Instructor – Las Vegas, NV
- Kyon Fall Practicum Patella Groove Replacement, Advanced Locking Plate System and PAUL Instructor – Las Vegas, NV